This week my kids were begging me to make cookies, and I ended up making Oatmeal Scotchies. They are a classic cookie that have long been one of my favorites, but I hadn't made them for my kids in a very long time. I don't know why, because they were a huge hit with them too, and I'm sure it won't be long before we make them again!
If you haven't made them before, they should definitely go on your must-try list. Creamy butterscotch and hearty oatmeal wrapped up in a buttery cookie dough...YUM!!! They come together quickly, and in less than 20 minutes, you can have heavenly warm cookies out of the oven!
Traditional Oatmeal Scotchies call for cinnamon--I don't love it with the butterscotch, so I always leave it out. If you like it, you can certainly add it! Adapted from Nestle.
- 1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 c.granulated sugar
- 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 c. quick or old-fashioned oats
- 1 2/3 c. (11 oz. ) butterscotch chips
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Stir together the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats and morsels. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes for chewy cookies or 9 to 10 minutes for crisp cookies. Let cool on baking sheets before removing.