April, from The Painted Cupboard.
When I found her blog, I spent a good long time looking at all her fabulous projects. She is very talented at refinishing furniture, and as someone who shared this passion, I was excited to see the many skills and techniques she shares with her readers, and couldn’t wait to have her here to share a couple of her favorite pieces, along with her “can’t live without it” tools and techniques.
Make sure you go and check out her blog–it’s a must see!
~Headboard and Nightstand~
- An orbital sander.
- Black sanding blocks (several different grits).
- Vinyl gloves (so you don’t stain your hands too !).
- Scott brand towels for everything! -cleaning furniture, staining, polyurethaning, etc.
- Minwax Walnut Gel Stain.
- Minwax Wipe On Satin Polyurethane.
- Foam brushes for painting if you are not spraying – it is so nice to just toss them!
- I also use plain old latex house paint in a satin finish. Walmart’s Antique White is a great color too.
- I have found that a good sanding, cleaning and several light coats of paint, stain and a few coats of polyurethane can update just about anything!!
Finally, my advise to anyone who is thinking of refinishing a piece is to “JUST DO IT”!! It’s only paint. Start with something you don’t really care about so, if you do mess up then you can just haul it back to where you found it in the first place:) Trust me I have done that many times myself!!! LOL!
Thank you, Kierste for having me…