I know it’s only September, but I wanted to share this so there would be plenty of time to get it put together by October 1st!
I collected a list of some favorite Halloween books, along with some others I wanted to try, then headed to the library. I’m working on collecting our own, but until then, the library is the perfect resource, and had all the titles I was looking for, plus others! You’ll want to head to your library right around the first of the month, to make sure you have a good selection. Checkout dates vary from library to library (we’ve had 2, 3, and 4 weeks), but most of them offer renewals, so you could have the books for the entire month. If they don’t offer renewals on holiday books, you can always go a couple of times that month to stock up. It’s totally worth it!!
To keep the books in, I found a black tub at Target in the holiday section, added some ribbon and vinyl, and our book countdown was ready! Honestly, it doesn’t have to be anything fancy to be fun–using a basket you already have is perfect too!
Whether you label the books and go in order like an advent calendar, pull numbers out of a hat, or just let kids choose randomly, this is a super fun way to enjoy the holiday together. We read one book every night before bed, and my kids look forward to their turn, and the book of the night! Holidays are just more fun with books!
Here is a list of 31 Halloween books! (Most of these books are targeted for ages 3-8)
1. Too Many Pumpkins
2. Pumpkin Soup
3. The Biggest Pumpkin Ever
4. Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden
5. How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
6. Pumpkin Pumpkin
7. In the Haunted House
8. Room on the Broom
9. The Night Before Halloween
10. Ten Timid Ghosts
11. The Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat
12. Big Pumpkin
13. The Vanishing Pumpkin
15. Bugs That Go Bump in the Night
16. Five Little Pumpkins
17. Scary, Scary Halloween
19. Mrs. McMurphy’s Pumpkin
20. It’s Halloween
21. The 13 Nights of Halloween, Rebecca Dickinson
22. Miss Fiona’s Stupendous Pumpkin Pies
23. Happy Halloween, Ladybug Girl!
24. The Bumpy Little Pumpkin
25. Halloween Night, Arden Druce
26. Haunted Castle on Hallows Eve (Magic Tree House, No. 30)
27. All Hallows Eve: The Story of the Halloween Fairy
28. Pumpkin Hill
29. Skeleton Hiccups
30.The Ugly Pumpkin
31. Trick or Treat Countdown, Patricia Hubbard
Have a favorite story that’s not listed here? Please share!
just maybe a cup of hot chocolate.