{calendar blocks}

Who doesn't love countdown blocks? Well, I wanted to be able to use it all year long, and all it took was one simple change.

For the bottom block, I made a removable tag for each month (just cardstock, distressed and matted on scrapbook paper--font Mr. Giggles), which makes it so easy to just change it out every month. I thought about making 6 bottom blocks, and putting vinyl on each side--then changing out a block every 2 months. You could still do that if you prefer, but I really wanted to go with simple, and reduce the amount I had to store. To stick on the month, I actually used a little bit of double stick tape--it comes off the mod podged surface pretty easily. (In the process of making it, I added and removed a month at least 10 times, and it always worked well.)

I actually made this one for a gift, so if you're name starts with an A, and you live in Idaho, please act surprised. :) (And forgive me for not getting it mailed before Christmas--with 5 sick little ones, it was all about survival.)

Now you've got a darling way to count down each day in the year, and never have to put them away!

.....

Calendar Block Specifics

Wood: 4x4 posts, cut into 2 square blocks, 2x4--7 inches
Number Placement: Block 1--0,1,2,3,4,5
Block 2--0,1,2,6,7,8 (6 doubles as the 9, so make sure you put it on non-directional paper)

Paint your blocks, mod podge desired paper, sand and distress block edges, add numbers!

.....

Photobucket

comments

1. My name starts with an A and I live in Idaho… but I don't think you're talking about me. :( Bummer, I would LOVE your calendar block… and I don't even care that it's past Christmas. :) J/K

2. I love this! It's so darn cute!

3. Let me first just say that this is an adorable idea! Counting UP instead of DOWN each month! :) AND… I love love love that you always mention what font you use when you post a craft! THX!!

4. Totally charming! Where did you get your Mr. Giggles font? I tried googling it and up came too many of sites.

5. Corners of My Life–I got it at the 2peas site. This is not a free font, but it is only $1.99. It's actually the first font I've ever purchased, but it's a favorite, and I knew I would use it all the time.

6. Oh how CUTE! Wow this is genius! I sure hope I am lucky enough to be the winner, there is so much I would love to make for my blank slate home!

7. awesome project, thanks for the link! happy 2011!

8. love this, i want to make one!!

9. So cute, I love them. Have a great new year!

10. So adorable! I need a Silhouette! Fast! :)

11. Anonymous says:

How cute this is I love it.

Sandy from The Mommy's Place

12. Anonymous says:

CUTE! could you please post the measurements for the bottom block (I assume the numbers are 4×4)…thanks!

13. Anonymous says:

I love the idea of using this as a calendar and I love the colors you used. I was thinking you could also use sticky velcro for the months.

14. Anonymous says:

So, so , so cute!!

15. Anonymous says:

This is such a great idea, but I am stumped as to how you were able to do a number set for every day of the month. There are only 6 sides to a cube, and given that each date will have either a 0,1,2, or 3 in it, how did you manage to make it work for every day including the numbers 2-9? I am wanting to make these but wondering how you figured that part. Thanks!

16. Anonymous says:

Ha, just figured it out. You likely made three cubes per calendar set.

17. Can you tell us the sizes you used of each block as well as the number placement? I love these!

18. Veronica–I actually made only 2 cubes per set, but I've added the number placement to my post so you can see how I did it!

CJ–I also added the dimensions of the wood to my post!

19. Hi,

Can you tell me the size of the bottom block? This is adorable. I want to make one for my MIL's classroom.

20. Anonymous says:

Love it! Have you ever done and three block countdown? I am trying to figure out how to count down from 100 but have no idea where to place the numbers. Can you help?

21. Anonymous says:

Where do you get your wood blocks? At a craft store or do you buy wood posts at home depot or lowes and cut it down?

22. Anonymous says:

Hi,
    I just found your blog and have already been so inspired by it! I would love it you could check out my post on the calendar blocks that I made.

Afolake

23. Very cute! You could even put a small metal piece where the month goes, then make the months magnetic. Then they will last a little longer.