{easter pails & homemade easter grass}

Apr

I was in Target the other night, looking for Easter baskets for my little boys, and I wasn't having much luck. I had already been to several places over the last few weeks, and I just couldn't find what I was looking for--without paying a lot for it.

Then I happened to go down the gardening aisle, and found the most darling tin pails in different colors. They were a great size, at a really great price--only $2.99. Woot! I couldn't resist, and decided to buy one for each of my kids--still spending less than I would have to buy 2 new baskets! (and let's face it, I have a thing for matching !) Since they stack together, they would take up way less space than 5 baskets, which is always a plus. I KNOW I've done so many projects with pails lately, but I simply cannot resist. I love them!

I added white vinyl that I cut on my Silhouette--initials on one side, and names on the other side. I'm so happy with how they turned out, and will be perfect for egg hunts and visits from the Easter bunny!

Easter Pails

Homemade Easter Grass

Plastic grass is really cheap, I know. But I'm going to show you how a really fun variation that's almost as inexpensive, and takes a few seconds to make.

All you need is a shredder and cardstock! I like using Bazzill, which is a little thicker and textured, but you could use any kind you like. I also recommend using solid colors.

Empty out your shredder, then run one color of cardstock through at a time. I used 3 sheets of 12x12 paper per color, and it made enough to fill two pails to the halfway point. Once one color is done, remove the pieces, then do the next color. Store in plastic storage bags until ready to use!

When I first thought of this, I imagined long thin strips of paper. Then I remembered that our shredder cross cuts the paper, leaving me with little pieces, as opposed to strips. My husband offered to take it to work to do it, but I was too impatient. :) I still really like the way it turned out, so whichever kind of shredder you have, it will be cute!

Photobucket

comments

1. Anonymous says:

What a lovely post.

I love your blog..so happy to have found it..and you :) I'm adding you to my blogs I follow immediately :)

Wishing you a lovely day :)Doreen

2. Anonymous says:

these are just darling-tfs!

3. Anonymous says:

I just looked for easter baskets and couldn't find anything I liked- I think I'm going to try this :) Can you tell me how big the letters are? I'll have to order the vinyl to put on the pails b/c I don't haved a Silhouette, but wasn't sure of the size. Thanks!

4. Anonymous says:

So cute!! I'm running to Target today to get a bucket for my son. Unfortunately I don't have a silhouette, but I'll come up with some way to get his name on the bucket. Thanks for the great idea!

5. Anonymous says:

Love your blog! I've read for a while but just now commenting. Those buckets are absolutely darling! I will have to pick some up for my daughters. Great idea for the "grass" too.

6. Anonymous says:

Great idea! My son would sure Love a bucket more than a basket. Thanks for sharing!

7. Anonymous says:

Love, love love it!! Thanks for sharing!

8. Anonymous says:

I am SOOO doing this!

9. Anonymous says:

Love those colors :D

10. Anonymous says:

I really like the idea for the grass. The green cellophane (?) from the store is cheap but it's just ugly… This is so much cuter– AND I can color-coordinate with our baskets!

11. Anonymous says:

Love what you did with your pails! And I'm all for the homemade grass. I can't imagine all that plastic grass is good for the environment which is why I re-use mine every year! I like the idea of making my own though too!

Jeanine

12. Anonymous says:

This is adorable. I am heading to target this weekend hoping they have those buckets too! What a great idea. Love them!

13. Anonymous says:

GREAT idea!!! What font did you use?

14. Anonymous says:

i used pails last year with initials. i can't believe it but i love it so much more than easter baskets and your right the storage is much better and you can use them for other cute things!

15. Anonymous says:

Those are adorable! You really can't go wrong with Target! :-)

16. Anonymous says:

The font is century gothic!

Erin–You don't have to use vinyl. You could use alphabet stickers found at a scrapbook store or hobby store like Michaels. Although ordering vinyl shouldn't be too expensive. The initials are 2.5 inches high, and the names are 1.725 inches high.

17. Anonymous says:

I am a new follower of your blog! I am loving your ideas! I've linked a few on my blog for today! Check it out if you get a chance!

jellybeanscraftythings.blogspot.com

18. Anonymous says:

I linked this project to my Friday finds. Come check it out if you get a chance.

19. Anonymous says:

Do you have any hints/tips for applying the vinyl to the curved surfaces? I did the conference buckets and struggled keeping the words straight as I applied the vinyl… but my words were larger so maybe that was the problem.

20. Anonymous says:

Very cute. I love the idea of making your own grass–I always hated finding that other grass all over the house after Easter.

21. Anonymous says:

Love the paper grass idea. I HATE! Plastic grass. It is so staticy and gets everywhere and then I always end up untangling it from my vacuum beater bar.

22. Anonymous says:

Jamie–

You might consider cutting the letters apart and applying them separately. It's easier to keep them in a straight line that way, because when you apply it as one word, it will automatically follow the curve of the bucket.

23. Anonymous says:

I loved your idea and immediately bought the tins. Then realized I had no idea how to do the names. Would you be at all interested in cutting out three names and I can paypal you the money?

24. Anonymous says:

Love these little personalized pails! I had to feature them in my latest post – they are just adorable! Too cute!

25. Anonymous says:

I loved this idea! I have been to 3 different targets and can't find the pails though. What target did you go to? I wish I could come across some for my 2 little kids. Thanks a million. You are wonderful! I love your blog!

26. Anonymous says:

Very creative! I haven't tried cutting vinyl with my cricut machine yet, but this would be a great project to try it on! Also love the shredded paper.

27. Anonymous says:

I am wondering what you used to paint the pails and how the paint is holding up? I have some that I want to paint but I want to make sure the paint holds up! Thanks!

28. Anonymous says:

The pails from target were already colored. I found two pink ones at my target but that was it and they haven't gotten any more in. I did find some at Joann, but they were also well picked over – but definitely check your local store if you can't find them at target. I found them in an odd place. I think it was by wooden crates and craft items…. between the yarn aisles and the brown paper mache boxes/letters. They definitely seemed in an odd place to me.