Handprint Aprons {Mother’s Day}

Sometimes it seems like the years past faster than the days do, and capturing little handprints are like freezing a moment in time. When my oldest was small, I made an apron with his handprint on it for my dad for Father's Day.  I still LOVE seeing his tiny little hand on that apron.  ♥ This year it was grandmas' turn... I love how these Handprint Aprons turned out!

mother's day handprint apron | simplykierste.com

This is an easy and super fun project---the hardest part will be trying to get the handprints in the right places with a minimum of wiggling! I love gifts that the kids can contribute to, and it created some really great family time.

mother's day handprint apron | simplykierste.com

• canvas apron
  • fabric paint (make sure it's washable!)
  • fabric, matching thread
  • heat transfer (optional)

1.  I added my embellishment first--I thought it would be easier to have it in place, and use it as as guide when I added the handprints. I added a ruffle like THIS at the top and along the bottom of the apron, then stitched on a flower at the top using a coordinating fabric. You can embellish these aprons any way you like--that's the beauty of it!  I've seen darling flowers made out of handprints, with ric rac for the stem.  A friend of mine added a ruffle all the way around the edge of the apron, and it was adorable.

2.  I cut out the names of the moms (Grandma and Gramme), and the names of the kids in the same font--My Own Topher on my Silhouette. I used white flocked heat transfer, which I love for this project, because it has some depth to it. I didn't iron them on yet--I wanted to wait until after handprints were on. but if you would rather do it the other way around that's okay too!

When I made the original apron when my son was little, I used the fabric paint (get the bottle with a pointed tip--meant for writing) to write all the text.  It turned out really cute, and it was super easy to do.

3.  I applied the white paint to the hands one at a time, and despite much wiggling, I think they turned out pretty well!  Have a plan for where you want them to go--it might not be perfect, but it will be better than guessing.  Once this paint is on, it's on! Check the bottle for directions, but mine needed to dry for 24 hours.

4.  Once the handprints were dry, I ironed on the heat transfer names.

Ta-da!  Darling Mother's Day aprons!!!

mother's day handprint aprons | simplykierste.com

Simply Kierste
Kierste is a blogger who shares her love of all things DIY. She is the mother of six, and focuses on simple ideas and projects to make a house a home! When she's not chasing around two sets of twins, a teenager, and a baby, she's working on a project, training for her next race, reading one of her favorite books, or baking something with chocolate in it.
Simply Kierste

Blogger at Simply {Kierste}: Where you can find simple ideas and tutorials for DIY projects, holiday crafts, home & family, organization, recipes, and more!
Simply Kierste
Simply Kierste

1. Maytal Bendavid says:

Hi –

I LOVE the apron! Would you mind telling me where you got it, so I can make one also?

Thanks so much!

2. Kristi says:

This might be a silly question but is the apron washable or will the paint come off if you wash it? Cute idea!

3. Brandie says:

Hey, any chance you’d tell me where you got the iron on transfers? These are really cute!

4. Pablo says:

How did you make those perfect letters?! I bought the 3 pack aprons and the first one i messed up completely and the other one i still cant get them right. The letters smudge. Help!!

• I actually cut them out of heat transfer on my Silhouette, and ironed them on. If I didn’t have one, I might consider just doing monograms. Or…check out your craft and hobby stores–they might have iron on letters!!!! Good luck!!!

5. Susan says:

Any chance you’d be interested in making these (minus the handprints) and selling them? I’m not crafty and am a working mom of 3, but think these would make great Christmas gifts!

6. Melissa says:

Where did you find the ribbon. If it’s just regular ribbon how did you get it to look like that? Thanks!

• It’s actually not ribbon, it’s strips of fabric that I sewed on as a ruffle. It’s SUPER easy, and there’s a link in the post to how I did it on another project. xoxo

7. Melissa says:

I don’t see the link in the post? Also how did you make the flower?

8. I love this. So cute. My kids would love making it and I’m sure Grandma would love it too. Hope you don’t mind if I put this link up on my blog for my Mother’s Day gift ideas round up.

9. This is so cute! I just put a link to it on my blog.

10. Hannah says:

how old was your son when you first did it? Mine just turned 4 months and we failed. He grabbed the apron as I was taking his hand off and I turned h blue lol. Is white the best color for this? How did you get a visible hand print? Plz any suggest are much appreciated such a wonderful idea!

• You’re right, it is tricky with little babies! When my babies are really little, I like to use footprints, instead of handprints. It’s much easier to control their little foot–both getting the paint on, and enough of it, plus actually placing the foot down and being able to press firmly. If you’re not set on handprints, footprints are darling too!

Or, I’ve even done it when they’re asleep before!

Also, if they are asleep or awake, wait until you have someone to help you. When you’re trying to manage it all on your own, it can be really tricky to get the paint on, press their hand down, keep it straight, and then take it off again.

Hope this helps–good luck!!! xoxo