What a week. Four sick kids, lots of medications and laundry, no sleep, and all the other fun stuff that goes with it. Sometimes you just need a little chocolate to get you through...or a lot. ☺ Brownies are one of my favorite things, but they have to be the chewy, gooey kind--preferably warm out of the oven. And a little ice cream never hurt, either. I've tried, made, and eaten a lot of yummy brownies over the years, but today I'm going to share one of my all-time favorites. I've been making these for years, and every time I take them anywhere, they are devoured! They literally take 5 minutes to mix up, and within 30-35 minutes (make the frosting while they're baking), you have delicious, AMAZING brownies!
You might look at the list of ingredients and think: "marshmallows? Is this a rocky road recipe?" Nope, it's not ! (although you could add more marshmallows if you want to!) It only adds a handful of mini marshmallows, and once they're baked you can't really taste them--they are just part of the formula that makes these so deliciously chewy and gooey. The rich chocolate buttercream frosting is quite literally and figuratively the icing on the cake, and the total package is irresistible . WARNING: It's a good idea to make these when you're having company, and or when you can give some away. I make no guarantees that you won't eat the entire pan if given the opportunity.
I also love the versatility of this recipe. It can act as a base for anything you want to do--you can make them into mint brownies, peanut butter brownies, candy bar brownies, and more! If you REALLY want to go all out, serve them with ice cream, hot fudge, caramel, and the works. :) Remember--DO NOT overbake these! The chocolate chips and marshmallows will make them seem really gooey, even when they're done, so check them carefully. ENJOY!!!!!
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 c. + 2 T. flour
- 1/3 c. cocoa
- 2/3 c. brown sugar
- 2/3 c. white sugar
- 1/2 c. chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. white chocolate chips (or double the chocolate chips)
- handful mini marshmallows
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 c. butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- [b]Chocolate Buttercream Frosting[/b]
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. cocoa
- 1 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- dash salt
- 2-4 T. heavy cream, half and half, or whole milk
- Combine sugars and butter. Add eggs and vanilla, then stir in cocoa. Mix in flour and salt. Stir in chocolate chips and marshmallows. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-32 minutes, or until done. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Frost with chocolate buttercream frosting.
- [b]Frosting Instructions[/b]
- Mix the powdered sugar and cocoa together, then add the butter. In a mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat in the butter. Slowly add the cream and keep beating until it reaches the desired consistency--thick, but not too thick. Add the salt and vanilla, and beat until fluffy.