{valentine bow wreath}

Jan

I love having a cute wreath on my front door, and changing it out each holiday!  I made a really fun one for Valentine's Day, and I ♥ it!  It's SO simple, costs less than $10 to make (less if you have lots of fabric already), and takes under an hour to make--that's my kind of project.  :)

Isn't it darling?  You will die when you see how simple it is!  I just took strips of red and pink fabric, and tied them in bows all around the styrofoam wreath.  EASY PEASY.  (lemon squeezy...I can't ever leave that part out, lol.)

I thought about using all ribbon, but my cheap budget-conscious self just couldn't justify the cost.  I used some ribbon sprinkled throughout the wreath (3 fabric strips, 1 piece pf ribbon pattern), and it took more than one 18 foot roll just to do that much.  If you can find really cheap dollar ribbon, or you already have a lot of pink and red ribbon that will work, then it's a definite option. I actually like the fabric better--I love the texture and "fray" look it has to it, and I love the bit of ribbon mixed in.

Here are all the details, if you want to make your own!!!

{supplies}

-styrofoam wreath

-cotton fabric (details and measurements below)

-ribbon (details and measurements below)

-scissors

{directions}

1.  I used three different fabric patterns in pink and red:  1/3 yard each (all were 44 or 45 inches in width).  I also used 1 entire 18 foot roll of pink grosgrain (7/8 inch), plus another 3 feet from a separate roll.  If you didn't want to do any ribbon, then I would use 1 1/3 yards of fabric--either 4 different kinds, each 1/3 yard, or a combination to equal that amount.

2.  Cut the fabric into strips.  I cut my fabric in half width wise. so the strips would be 22 or 22.5 inches long. I then took my scissors and made little cuts along the top of my piece of fabric, about 1/5 inches wide, and then ripped it into strips.  Final measurement:  1.5 x 22!

3.  Start tying!  I tied the fabric strips into bows onto the wreath in the pattern I decided on.  My pattern was 3 fabric, 1 ribbon, and repeat all the way around.  You can do whatever y0u like! If you are using all fabric strips, you may not have as much of rhyme and reason to it, but there is no wrong way to do it---whatever you like is just fine!

That's it!!!  I used a 1.5 inch polka dot grosgrain ribbon to hang it on the door, and it's perfect!

{kierste}

Simply Kierste
Kierste is a blogger who shares her love of all things DIY. She is the mother of six, and most of her posts revolve around making her home a beautiful, organized, and fun place to be. When she's not chasing around two sets of twins, a teenager, and a baby, she's working on a project, training for her next race, reading one of her favorite books, or baking something with chocolate in it.
Simply Kierste

@simplykierste

Blogger at Simply {Kierste}: Where you can find simple ideas and tutorials for DIY projects, holiday crafts, home & family, organization, recipes, and more!
Simply Kierste

comments

1. That’s so stinkin’ cute! And so easy … I’m excited! My girls are old enough now they will LOVE doing this — all I’ll have to do is put the supplies on the kitchen table. Thanks for the inspiration!

2. This is super cute! Love how you mixed up the fabric and the ribbon. It’s just perfect for Valentine’s Day!

3. Oh sooo totally Cute! I love this!

4. I love this! I’m also looking at the candy bracelets on the right. Gotta get going on all this fun decor! Thanks for sharing these amazing ideas!

5. Adorable and so simple. Thanks!

6. I’m up for a new v-day wreath & this is adorable….as usual! :)

7. Eveline van Heijst says:

Love it, pinned it to Pintererst!
    Eveline.

8. Oh i love this wreath!! I think I may have to make one!!

9. Dana Caffrey says:

Love the Valentine wreath, so beautiful! It’s 1 month before V-day and I will definitely work on this. Tomorrow I will head to the bookstore to buy the ribbons I need. Thanks for sharing!

• simply {kierste} says:

It’s still plenty of time to enjoy a Valentine’s wreath…I’d love to see it when it’s finished!! XO

10. Natosha Zachary says:

It’s so pretty!

11. Cookie 17 says:

I love,love,love this wreath,one prettiest so far going be hard beat it.Keep up good work Hon,,Thank’s Cookie 17

12. Now I cannot wait to go to the fabric store tomorrow! :) This is sooo adorable. Will be perfect on my glass door. Thank you so much for all your wonderful inspiration and instructions.

13. This is adorable! What size is the styrofoam wreath? Thanks!

14. I bought the wreath, cut my strips of fabric and sat down to tie them on. Guess what??? The strips aren’t long enough to tie around the wreath and into bows. It is a 14″ wreath that measures 6″ around where the bows should be tied. Am I doing something wrong? Strips 1.5 x 22 tied AROUND THE WREATH? Thanks Kirste.

• simply {kierste} says:

Teri, yes, that’s exactly what mine is! I went outside and measured it, and it’s a 14 inch wreath. I even went back and measured my fabric strips, and they are definitely 22 inches long. I’m so sorry they aren’t long enough for you! My bows aren’t very big, and the ends aren’t very long, so I really didn’t have to trim anything. Ugh! I’m so sorry! Hopefully you can make it work, or make strips longer. :( Let me know if you have any more questions!!!

Oh, and I got my wreath quite awhile ago, and it’s been waiting for me to use it. I think I got it Hobby Lobby…

• That’s also where I got my wreath. Maybe I just need to try the bows again. I thought the ends should be longer, but if yours weren’t that long either, then it may work out okay. If not then I may just tie them in knots and use the pinking shears on the ends. Thanks so much for your reply. I love your blog…Keep the fun ideas coming!

15. BTW…Where did you buy your wreath?

16. I made mine last night while watching a movie with the family! Turned out super cute! Thanks!

17. I sure hope I can get one of these made for Valentine’s Day. I absolutely love it :) I’ll be going to pick up supplies needed on Friday. Thank you for the wonderful idea. Oh by the way….I found your wreath on Pinterest and subscribed to you website. Love love love it!!

18. Thanks so much for this darling idea. Made mine yesterday and it turned out soooo cute! Really easy, once I got the method down and the back of the wreath is nicely finished as well. First rate!!

19. Your wreath is just wonderful for Valentine’s. Really really like the ribbon and fabric you used it really pretty. :D
    Deborah

20. It’s so pretty! But I bet it would be prettier with a white giant bow instead of a red polka dotted one. Still pretty thought!!1

21. HOW cute! This may be one project I can actually start and finish!!

22. Very Cute! I made a Fourth Of July Fabric Wreath last year and it’s the only Patriotic wreath I like!! :-)

23. I love simple DIY wreaths. This is going on my Valentine’s pin board. Thank you for sharing it. I actually wandered over from your Valentine’s Day Kid Date Night link on Krafty Inspiration’s roundup.