One of my best friends in all the world had a birthday this week. And not just any birthday...the big 30!!!! I left her 6 months ago when we moved to Texas, and I was SO sad that I was going to miss this milestone. I knew I wanted to send her something to really celebrate this particular birthday, and let her know how special she is to me. So...I made her a birthday jar!
It's just a simple pint-size mason jar, but it's what's inside that really counts. Tucked away inside the jar are 30 things (one for each year) about her that I love---special memories, characteristics, qualities, talents, and all those things that make a friendship what they are. I thought it was the perfect way to celebrate 30 years of one of the most fabulous people I know!!
If there is someone in your life that is celebrating a milestone birthday, and you want to let them know how much they mean to you, this is a wonderful way to do it. It would also be really fun for a wedding anniversary, or even a wedding gift from one spouse to another on the day of their marriage. Mother's Day and Father's Day are also right around the corner...
-pint sized mason jar (you can do a larger jar if necessary...this one fit 30 exactly)
-double stick tape
-computer and printer
1. Remove the lid and ring from the jar, and spray paint them. Let dry completely.
2. Cut a circle from your scrapbook paper to fit the top of the jar. I used a 2 inch circle punch, but you could also trace a glass if need be. I used a cute monogram stamp on the top to embellish. You could also print your monogram or text on the scrapbook paper first, then punch or cut around it. Use double stick tape to adhere it to the top of the lid.
3. In Word, or other similar program, type out the number of items you need. I didn't number them, but I typed each individual thought in a fun font (My Own Topher) with brackets around it...the cute factor, you know. ☺ I spaced them enough apart so I would have room to cut them once they were printed. Again, I related special memories, experiences, thoughts, things I admired and loved about her--you can include anything that is special and meaningful to you and your relationship. Print it out, then cut them into strips with a paper trimmer or scissors.
4. Fold your strips down--I folded them in half, then in half again, and one more time--and tuck them in the jar.
5. Tie a ribbon around the outside of your jar!
I was so excited to give it to her...it came from my heart!
So, to Miss E... I ♥ you! Happy Birthday!!!