Striped & Polka Dot Pumpkins

Just so you know, I'm totally obsessed with stripes.  And polka dots.

I'm giddy over these striped & polka dot pumpkins!!!

4x4 striped & polka dot pumpkins | simplykierste.com

Could you not DIE????

You are going to love how easy they are to make...and I'm going to show you how! These would be really fun to make in a group (Super Saturday), as a gift, or for your own cute house!  I made these for less than $2, since I already had the paint. Going in on it with someone will drastically reduce your costs, because you can share paint, and the 4x4 post.

{supplies}

-4x4 post, cut into three lengths--10 inches, 7 inches, and 4 inches

-spray paint in orange and white ( I used Rustoleum)

-1 inch (approx.) stick or branch

-painters tape

-round stickers/vinyl circles

-drill and 1 inch spade bit

-wood glue or hot glue

-twine

-sander

{directions}

1.  The first step is to paint your wood the base color--the color you want your polka dots to be.  For the stripes, your base color will be the one that you DON'T want the top to be.  Let it dry completely.

2.  Apply your round stickers to the ( I used my Silhouette to cut out 1 inch circles) pieces of wood that you want to be polka dotted.  I didn't have a pattern that I followed--I just added them the way I liked them!  Apply your painters tape to the piece of wood you want to be striped.  I used Frog Tape, and applied it so that I skipped a space equal to the size of the tape, so that the striped would be even.

4x4 pumpkin | simplykierste.com

3. Once the tape and stickers are on, you can paint the wood the top color--the other color!  For example, if you painted a piece of wood white first, then added the stickers, you would spray it orange.  The wood would end up being orange, with white polka dots.  Let dry completely.

4.  Remove the stickers and tape.  Using a 1 inch spade bit, drill a hole in the top of each piece of wood.  Cut your branch/stick down to the height that you want, then use hot glue or wood glue to secure it inside your drilled hole.  If you use a branch that's smaller or larger than 1 inch, you will have to use a different size spade bit.  Try to find a branch that's close to the size of one of your bits, or there will be a noticeable gap.

4x4 pumpkin 4 copy

5.  Sand the edges of your wood, and VERY lightly on the fronts.  The paint will come off easily, so use a fine grit sandpaper and go very lightly.  It's so cute, because the color you painted first will come through, giving it a really great texture and dimension.  Wipe of all the excess dust, and tie twine to the largest pumpkin! Ta-da!!! Darling striped & polka dot pumpkins!!!

4x4 striped and polka dot pumpkins | simplykierste.com

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! These are the perfect fall decor, because they can stay out for fall, Halloween, and Thanksgiving!

4x4 striped & polka dot pumpkin | simplykierste.com

Simply Kierste
Kierste is a blogger who shares her love of all things DIY. She is the mother of six, and most of her posts revolve around making her home a beautiful, organized, and fun place to be. When she's not chasing around two sets of twins, a teenager, and a baby, she's working on a project, training for her next race, reading one of her favorite books, or baking something with chocolate in it.
Simply Kierste

@simplykierste

Blogger at Simply {Kierste}: Where you can find simple ideas and tutorials for DIY projects, holiday crafts, home & family, organization, recipes, and more!
Simply Kierste
Simply Kierste

Latest posts by Simply Kierste (see all)

comments

1. Sandi Allen says:

Love these! So Sweet!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

2. Eveline van Heijst says:

I love these. They look great.
    Eveline.

3. Totally loving the amazing cuteness of these pumpkins!!! Making, pinning, loving!

4. Love them! You have the best projects, especially for the ‘diy iimpaired’…that would be me :)

5. And evidently the spelling impaired…

• simply {kierste} says:

Lol. Anyone can do these! If you make them, let me know!!! :)

• Just made them. Went to Lowe’s and the man told me I had to wait 30 days for the wood to dry! What? I don’t have 30 days….Halloween is right around the corner. We’ll see what happens. Worse case….$2.00 down the drain!!! lol They are adorable!!!! Making them for all my friends!

• simply {kierste} says:

It must be treated wood. I’ve used it many times before, and never let it dry for 30 days beforehand. It does depend on how “wet” it is–if it’s super wet, then you may want to set it out in the sun for a few days first. Good luck!!

6. OMG, these are so dang cute. I love them and want to make some..

7. I am in LOVE with these! I will make these this fall. Thank you!!!

8. This is OH so cute!! Thankfully I have a husband who can do the cutting and drilling. I might just have to try this.

9. These are SOOOO cute!

10. These are so cute! I’ve found my next “Craft Night” project!

11. these are so stinkin cute!!!!! LOVE! Thanks, Kierste!

12. Oh my goodness! They are so so cute!! I want to make them right now:) Thanks for sharing!!

13. Do you prime you wood before the spray paintI can’t get my spray paint to layer well.

• simply {kierste} says:

I don’t prime my wood on things like this. Make sure that the first coat is totally and completely dry. Also, use a really good spray paint. I prefer Rustoleum, and they actually have a paint and primer in one, that you could try. You just need a light coat for the bast coat–one that covers, but not really thick. Good luck!!!

14. I think these will make a great front porch decoration. Should I put a sealant on to protect the paint? Thanks for sharing!

• simply {kierste} says:

Yes, you could apply a clear sealant if it’s going to be outside and not under a porch. I would use a matte finish, instead of a glossy one! And you are so welcome!!! xoxo

15. These are adorable, Kierste!

16. Thanks so much for the great idea! I made this already, turned out so cute. Going to post on m,y website tonight with a your website for the idea and directions. I also love stripes and polka dots

17. In the picture, the tallest pumpkin looks like it is taller than 10″ especially if the stripes are 2″. Can you please verify heights again?

• simply {kierste} says:

The tallest one is 10 inches. I said the tape wasn’t quite 2 inches, but I didn’t put the specific measurement. I think I need to go change that! The tape was probably closer to 1.5 inches.

18. These are the cutest… I am pinning :)

19. So cute! I am sharing these on my facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/BeyondThePicketFenceEtsyShopAndBlog

20. I was hoping you could tell me what kind of wood did you use?

Thanks in advance!

• simply {kierste} says:

I used old 4×4 posts we had, but you can use a new 4×4 post that can be bought at any home improvement store. I prefer untreated posts, if you can find them, but if you can’t, the treated ones will work too.

21. Darcie Gordon says:

I am having a horrible time finding any orange paint that isn’t a gloss… I’m assuming you didn’t use a gloss?

• simply {kierste} says:

Mine was a gloss (had the same problem, but didn’t want to use craft paint), but I distressed it with my sander, which eliminated the glossy look. Even a light sand will help!!!

22. My Daughter made these other day,they came out perfect,everyone commented her on facebook how pretty they were she got them off pinterest Thank’s for ideas,,,

23. I have 4 sets in the works right now! Thanks for the inspiration…

24. I like your pumpkins so much! I think that I will try to make some too!
    Until now I only did some of fabric.

25. What finish of paint did you use? Gloss, satin, etc?

• simply {kierste} says:

I used Rustoleum spray paint, in orange. It was gloss, which is the only thing I could find in that color. I always sand the paint to distress it, which removes any gloss that might be there.

26. These are so adorable! Sharing and pinning them :)

27. These pumpkins are ABSOLUTELY gorgeous! I love them!

28. I just love your site and have been following you for awhile now. These stripped and polka dot pumpkins are great. I had to feature them on my Facebook page this morning. Your crafts and pictures really inspire me!!

29. I can’t find where you added this craft on your Facebook page.

30. These pumpkins are adorable and so simple to make. I am hosting a craft day at my house for family and friends to make these. Thank you for sharing your talents with all of us. I look forward to more ideas on your blog.

31. Kierste, I love all your craft ideas. I went yesterday to buy my supplies for the beautiful fall berry garland wreath. I started it today but ran out of twine before I could finish (my fault. . Didn’t buy enough):-( but I am so excited to finish it! Next weekend my husband said he would cut my wood for the precious striped and polka dot pumpkins. I want to thank you for sparking my interest in making crafts again and putting the warmth back in my home that can only be achieved through these beautiful handmade items. Bless your heart:-)

• Yay!! That makes me SO happy!! Sorry you didn’t have enough twine–I’ve totally done that before! Thank you so much for reading, and for commenting. Have fun creating!!! xo

32. How darling! What finish did you use on the spray paint or does it matter?

• I didn’t use a finish on this project, because I don’t think it matters. I think you’re good leaving it as is, but a finish wouldn’t hurt it. If you do use one, I would suggest a matte finish! Thanks so much for stopping by!!! xoxo

• Sorry! I should have been more clear. What finish was the spray paint? Was it gloss or satin or flat or does it matter? Thanks!

33. Adorable! Any suggestions other than vinyl circles. I bought round xmas stickers and it didn’t work! I repainted over but need another suggestion. Thank you!

34. Is vinyl sheets sticky? Just wondering how they stick to the wood?

35. Oh I am giddy. I love them! I’ve made the firecrackers. But these are great! Thanks for including the ‘how to’ I’d love you to link to my Fabulous Fall linky party!!

36. Claudene Holloway says:

Using this same concept…any ideas for Christmas?

37. What kind of spray paint did you use? Was it gloss, satin, or flat.

38. I’m doing a craft night coming up and making these (Super adorable by the way). Do you think craft paint would work ok? My party is at night and not a lot of room at my house to spray paint:)

• Yes, you could use craft paint, but it will take a lot—it’s absorbed into the wood easily. It also takes a little longer to dry. If you plan for these possibilities, you should be fine!

You can also spray paint outside–lay a tarp out on your driveway or porch, and turn on the outdoor lights–if you have space.

Have fun! They are perfect for craft night! xo

39. Kierste, I just wanted to tell you that my 82 year old mom and I took the day together and made a set of these precious pumpkins for both of us! She used the cream color instead of the white but I made mine just like yours. We had so much fun doing these. For the dots, we used the circle yard sale stickers you use to put prices on items and they worked well. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful ideas with all of us:-) Tomorrow I plan to make your recipe for cinnamon swirl cake! Xoxo

• I LOVE that you made it together!! That’s one of the best parts about making things—making it with someone you love!! You’ll have to let me know what you think about the cake. :) xoxo

40. I <3 your sweet stripes and dots!!! Pinned