Why is that cooler weather just makes me want to bake?? The weather here has finally gotten to the point here in Texas where I might just go crazy and call the mornings “chilly”, which means baking is in full swing. I’m a HUGE fan of anything “turtle”, so these Turtle Tassies are most definitely a favorite of mine.
These little tarts have a sugar cookie cup filled with creamy chocolate, smooth caramel, and crunchy nuts…YES, please!!! Don’t let the plain-ish appearance on the outside fool you…bite into these babies, and your mouth will thank you when all that ooey gooey chocolate & caramel oozes out of the rich sugar cookie crust!
These are perfect for serving at holiday parties and gatherings, filling treat bags for neighbor and hostess gifts, or munching on at home.
- I Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
- Butter & Egg (as called for on package}
- ¾ c. chocolate chips
- ½ c. chopped pecans
- ½ c. butter
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 2 T. sugar
- 6 T. light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 T. heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Make dough according to package directions. Make 36 (1-inch) balls (I usually make 24--to fit a standard size mini muffin pan). Press each ball into the bottom of each mini muffin cup and press up the sides.
- Bake 8-9 minutes or until edges just start to brown. While the crust is baking, in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar, sugar, corn syrup, heavy cream, and salt, Stirring constantly on medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil and boil until until a candy thermometer registers 240 degrees F, about 5 to 7 minutes.Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Remove pans from oven. Using the back of wooden spoon, press down the sides and bottom of each cup to flatten, being careful not to make holes.
- Bake for 2 minutes more. Remove from oven and immediately place 4-5 chocolate chips in each cup.
- Spoon about 1 Tablespoon of caramel into each cup and immediately top with pecans and slightly press them down. Cool for five minutes then remove with narrow spatula or a knife.