A few weeks ago, I found the most fabulous shutters there for $8, and then it was just a matter of deciding where I wanted them to go. Since I was in the process of decorating the laundry room, and there was a big empty wall that needed to be filled, I thought it would be the perfect spot.
Drab to Fab Shutters
I do have a new computer (YAY!), but I haven’t been able to retrieve any of my pictures yet, which means I unfortunately don’t have any of the before or process pictures to share with you. The shutters actually started out as a cream color, which ended up saving me a ton of time. I wanted them to be black, but with some cream showing through, along with the wood. So, since they were already cream, I was able to skip that step!
Here’s what I did:
1. Wiped down the shutters to remove dust, lint, and cobwebs.
2. I sprayed them black, using Rustoleum’s flat black spray paint. It took one full coat, with some touch-ups.
3. Next came the power sander. I was pretty liberal on these shutters, taking quite a bit of the black paint off until I could see the cream showing through, and in some spots clear down to the original wood.
4. Once I was finished sanding, I took a lint-free cloth and dusted them off well. Normally this is when I would use a stain to give it an even more aged look (Minwax Dark Walnut), but it actually didn’t need it. For further aging, a hammer & chains work well to get some dents and chips in it.
5. Done! I used a wood glue to adhere the two sets of shutters together, to make it easier to hang on the wall. Then I was able to wedge a nail in between the shutters for the wreath. LOVE it!